Changing the image of Christianity takes more than preaching. SAT-7 wanted to demonstrate to viewers that Christianity is a way of life and part of the Arab culture. A true image of the indigenous Arab church had to be presented, reflecting the reality and diversity of the situation of the Arab Christians, providing a living witness. And it had to be high-quality, attractive television.
A new model of Christian television had to be developed; there were no models to follow. The outcome was the unique holistic approach of SAT-7: television for the whole family and the whole person. SAT-7 programming is entertainment, information, and education. No area of life is excluded, because the whole person is loved by God.
The program policy was created after numerous consultations with the Middle East Council of Churches (MECC). The program policy makes it possible for SAT-7 to work with all denominations, presenting the core messages of Christianity that all churches agree upon. In a nonaggressive way, SAT-7 presents a positive image of what Christianity is.
The Ethos of SAT-7, as reflected in our program policies:
- SAT-7 broadcasts seek to: educate, inform, inspire, motivate.
- SAT-7 programming is culturally, politically, and religiously sensitive.
- SAT-7 uses indigenous languages.
- SAT-7 programming is designed to be holistic, addressing spiritual, physical, social, psychological, economic, moral, and ethical needs.
- SAT-7 avoids criticism of other churches, or ethnic or religious groups.
- SAT-7 programming seeks to reflect all Christian beliefs and practices.
- SAT-7 seeks to show the unity in Christianity, with all its diversity.
- SAT-7 seeks to help different denominations better understand one another.
- SAT-7 programming seeks to dispel negative stereotypes that non-Christians have of Christians, the church, and Christ.
- SAT-7 seeks to give “legitimacy” to Christian minorities in areas of the world where they have none.
- SAT-7 will not use coercive methods to change people.
- SAT-7 will not promote any political party or ideology.
- SAT-7 encourages the defense of peace, human rights, justice, and social and economic development.
- SAT-7 does not sell airtime to other ministries.
- SAT-7 is committed to partnership and works with and supports:
- SAT-7 is committed to develop:
- Its viewers
- Its staff and boards.
- SAT-7 wants to encourage Christian artists.